Rural History, General
- Danbom, Daniel B. Born in the Country: A History of Rural America. #nd ed. (Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2017).
Hurt, R. Douglas. Problems of Plenty: The American Farmer in the Twentieth Century. (Chicago: Ivan R. Dee, 2002).
History of Rural Wisconsin
- Jensen, Joan. Calling This Place Home: Women on the Wisconsin Frontier, 1850-1925. Minneapolis: Minnesota Historical Society Press, 2006.
- Pederson, Jane. Between Memory and Reality: Family and Community in Rural Wisconsin. (Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1992).
Public Health and the Progressive Era
- Danbom, David B. Resisted Revolution: Urban American and the Industrialization of Agriculture, 1900-1930. (Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press, 1979).
- Hass, Paul H. "Sin in Wisconsin: The Teasdale Vice Committee of 1913," The Wisconsin Magazine of History, Vol. 49, No. 2 (Winter, 1965-1966), pp. 138-151. http://proxy.uwec.edu/login?url=https://www.jstor.org/stable/4634125
- Koslow, Jennifer Lisa. Exhibiting Health: Public Health Displays in the Progressive Era. (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2020).
- Odem, Mary. Delinquent Daughters: Protecting and Policing Adolescent Female Sexuality in the United States, 1885-1920. (Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1995).
- Walzer Leavitt, Judith. The Healthiest City: Milwaukee and the Politics of Health Reform (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1996).
The 1918 Pandemic
- Bristol, Nancy K. American Pandemic: The Lost World's of the 1918 Influenza Epidemic. (New York: Oxford University Press, 2012).
- Crosby, Alfred. America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918. 2nd ed. (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1989).
- Steven Burg, "Wisconsin and the Great Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918," Wisconsin Magazine of History: Volume 84, number 1, autumn 2000.
The Bracero Program
- Hahamovitch, Cindy. Fruits of Their Labors: Atlantic Coast Farmworkers and the Making of Migrant Poverty, 1870-1945. Raleigh: University of North Carolina Press, 2010.
- Deborah. Braceros: Migrant Citizens and Transnational Subjects in the Postwar United States and Mexico. Raleigh: University of North Carolina Press, 2013.
- Loza, Mireya. Defiant Braceros: How Migrant Workers Fought for Racial, Sexual, and Political Freedom. Raleigh: University of North Carolina Press, 2016.
- About Latinx Workers in WI https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/wisconsins-dairy-industry-would-collapse-without-work-latino-immigrants-many-them
- About Migrant Workers in Rural Wisconsin https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/25/its-five-years-since-a-white-worker-applied-the-immigrants-milking-americas-cows
- About Wisconsin Dairy Industry https://www.jsonline.com/in-depth/news/special-reports/dairy-crisis/2019/11/12/wisconsin-dairy-farms-rely-immigrant-workers-undocumented-laborers/2570288001/
- Data about Immigrants in WI https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/immigrants-in-wisconsin
- Immigrants the Backbone of Dairy Industry in WI https://www.wiscontext.org/why-immigrant-workers-became-backbone-wisconsins-dairy-business
- Long, D., and D. Veroff. "Latinos in Wisconsin: A statistical overview." UW Applied Population Laboratory & University of Wisconsin Extension, 2014.
- Tran, Emily. “How did undocumented immigrants come to dominate the workforce on U.S. dairy farms?,” Season 02 Episode 6, Ask a Historian, podcast audio, December 9, 2020.
- Valentine, Brent Eric. Uniting Two Cultures: Latino Immigrants in the Wisconsin Dairy Industry, The Center for Comparative Immigration Studies University of California, San Diego, September 2005.
- Wisconsin Historical Society, “Hispanics in Wisconsin.” https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS2574
The Flouridation Crisis
- Patterson, James T. Grand Expectations: The United States, 1945–1974. (New York: Oxford University Press, 1996).
- Rodgers, Daniel T. Age of Fracture. (Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press, 2011).
Burger , David. “Wisconsin Faces Wave of Anti-Fluoridation Efforts .” Wisconsin faces wave Of Anti-fluoridation efforts. Wisconsin Dental Association , March 6, 2020. https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada-news/2020-archive/march/wisconsin-faces-wave-of-anti-fluoridation-efforts.
The Farm Crisis
- Riney-Kehrberg, Pamela. "A Special and Terrible Irony: Hunger on Iowa's Farms during the Agricultural Crisis of the 1980s." The Annals of Iowa 78 (2019), 361-390.
- Friedberger, Mark. Shake-Out: Iowa Farm Families in the 1980s. (Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky Press, 2014).
Barrett, Rick, and Jeff Bollier. “Coronavirus Has Hit Wisconsin Dairy FARMS Especially Hard -- Some Farmers May Even Have to Dump Milk.” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, March 30, 2020. https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2020/03/27/coronavirus-hits-wisconsin-dairy-hard-farmers-may-have-dump-milk/2919401001/.
Henning, Katrina. “Coronavirus Impacts Farmers in the Area.” https://www.weau.com. WEAU, March 17, 2020. https://www.weau.com/content/news/Coronavirus-impacts-farmers-in-the-area-568874831.html.
Kelly, Jack. “'The Happiness and Joy Has Been Sucked out of Me': Wisconsin Dairy Farmers Face Mental Health Crisis.” Channel3000.com. Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism, January 16, 2021. https://www.channel3000.com/the-happiness-and-joy-has-been-sucked-out-of-me-wisconsin-dairy-farmers-face-mental-health-crisis/.
The Opiod Crisis
Monnat , Shannon M, and Khary K Rigg. “The Opioid Crisis in Rural and Small Town America .” Thesis, Carsey School of Public Policy, University of New Hampshire, 2018.
Pullen, Erin, and Carrie Oser. “Barriers to Substance Abuse Treatment in Rural and Urban Communities: Counselor Perspectives.” Substance use & misuse. U.S. National Library of Medicine, March 24, 2014. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3995852/.
Om, Anjali. “The Opioid Crisis in Black and White: The Role of Race in Our Nation’s Recent Drug Epidemic.” Journal of Public Health 40, no. 4 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdy103.
Sable-Smith, Bram. “'Sometimes It's Just Pain, Pain, Pain': Inside a Rural Wisconsin Doctor's Fight to Manage Opioid Use.” Wisconsin Public Radio. NPR, December 31, 2019. https://www.wpr.org/sometimes-its-just-pain-pain-pain-inside-rural-wisconsin-doctors-fight-manage-opioid-use.
COVID-19, Access, and Inequality